The public restaurant Urban Space 500, being launched under the social franchise contract of the Urban Space 100 Project in Ivano-Frankivsk, will be opened in Kyiv in December and will be located at 9, Hrynchenko Street, the founder of the Teple Misto platform, businessman, restaurant-keeper (the 23 restaurants chain) Yuriy Fyliuk has said in an interview with Interfax-Ukraine.
“Urban Space 500 is a social franchise that Teple Misto handed over to the NGO Insha Osvita. This organization began to collect social investors, selected the management company – Druzi Cafe & Bar is fully engaged in the implementation of this project. Today, they have all 500 donators. Reconstruction of the premises is under way. They are scheduled to open [the restaurant] on December 1,” Fyliuk said.
He said that the restaurant model provides for a certain number of donators (one hundred in Ivano-Frankivsk and five hundred in Kyiv), which make a one-time non-refundable contribution of $1,000. Donators become participants in a public organization, which in turn is the founder of a limited liability company that carries out operational activities.
Some 80% of the net profit of the restaurant is returned to the public organization, and its general meeting decides which city development projects to support using these funds. The remaining 20% goes to the management company.
“We received more than 250 requests from 15 countries for the replication of this experience. Today, the first franchise went to Kyiv. According to the plan, the two next cities are Kramatorsk and Poltava. There are requests from Berlin, San Francisco, other capitals of European countries, from Malaysia. It is very interesting [to realize it in] Berlin and Francisco. I think it will happen someday, but we are moving step by step. This is not easy project for it to take place. There must be a lot of factors coming together,” Fyliuk said.